Saturday, January 22nd, 2022
Mutual Aid to Halfmoon on Hudson River Rd, for a 2nd Alarm Structure fire, Units on scene had a smoke condition on arrival. Units Responded: 66-1 Time of call 6:26 AM Units back in service 8:02 AM
Monday, January 17th, 2022
In area of Haughney rd in Schaghticoke, Units requesting Waterford to provide a Ladder to the scene, prior to units calling enroute, they were advised to hold in station. Time of call: 12:46 PM Units ...
Monday, January 17th, 2022
Area of 1st Street caller reporting water in basement and water coming from upstairs Units Responded: 64, 64-9, 64-2, 64-1 Time of call 12:54 PM Units back in service: 1:52 PM
Sunday, January 16th, 2022
National Grid reported a possible CO Leak on 4th Street, First arriving units had readings of over 600ppm of CO in the basement Units responded: 64, 64-9, 64-1, 67-1 Time of call 4:10 PM Units Back in...
https://cbs6albany.com/news/local/7-million-fire-station-breaks-ground-in-waterford
picture
Fire did extensive damage to a two-story home at 108 Third St. on Tuesday morning in Waterford. Several fire companies from southern Saratoga County and Boght from the town of Colonie responded to the...
Lysander Button Award

Some Departments have a Fire Fighter Of The Year award. Waterford Fire Department has the "Lysander Button Award" in honor of Waterford resident Lysander Button (b.9/2/1810- d.7/29/1898)

Lysander Button was the inventor of many of the early improvements made on hand and steam fire engines. Many of those improvements made their way to the modern fire engines of today.

Button was born in North Haven, Connecticut on September 2, 1810 but moved with his parents to Albany by 1825. After John Rogers relocated his machine shop from Albany to a spot on King’s Canal in Waterford, Saratoga County, New York, Button found a job there as a machinist. Rogers manufactured fire engines and had even submitted two patents in the 1830s (the copies of which have unfortunately been lost). Rogers sold the shop to William Platt and Judge Nicholas Doe, who expanded the product line to include other castings such as iron water wheels. Without the advantages of a formal education, Button became foreman in the shop by 1833 and was named a partner the following year.

In 1841, Platt sold his share of the business to Button, who became the sole owner after Judge Doe died. For the next fifteen years the business was known as L. Button & Company, which continued to operate on Kings Canal. Button later moved to a steam-powered building on Third Street in the Village of Waterford.[1] Most of his innovations were for the so-called “hand-pumper” fire engines. It is obvious that he possessed remarkable gifts in mechanical engineering, since by 1838 he had developed the first “piano engine” which delivered water from the front end of the trunk of the device. Another notable improvement was the “runaround” that returned water to the suction to relieve pressure on the hose. In 1841 he developed the first fire engine water pump, with valves set at an angle of 45 degrees and straight-level waterways from the inlet to the outlet.[2]

Upon coming of age, Lysander’s eldest son Theodore became involved with the company, and the name was changed to Button & Son. From 1873 to 1891 Theodore submitted some half a dozen patents, including improvements in hose and pipe couplings, feed water regulators, and steam engines. Two patents were assigned to his brother Charles, who seems to have remained affiliated with the fire engine business even after it was sold to other parties.

In 1876, the Button Steamer won the Centennial Award at the Philadelphia International Exhibition for its simplicity, strength, and reliability. However, after spending almost half a century manufacturing fire engines, Lysander decided to retire in 1882 and sell the entire works, including the rights to his many patents, to Holroyd & Company of Waterford.

Years later, Button fire engines continued to be manufactured by the American Fire Engine Company, which was formed in 1891 by the consolidation of the Button Fire Engine Works, Silsby Manufacturing Company, Ahrens Manufacturing Company, and Clapp & Jones. In 1900, a group of New York investors formed the International Fire Engine Company, which included American Fire Engine, LaFrance Fire Engine Company, and Thomas Manning Jr. & Company.

Button and his wife Abigail Ranney had five children: May Josephine, Eliza, Theodore, Julia, and Charles. After retiring, Lysander took a special interest in local schools by serving on the Board of Trustees and advocating for clean water in the school system. He was also prominent in the Presbyterian Church, becoming a ruling elder. He was superintendent of the Sunday school for 25 years and was a teacher there until within one year of his death, which occurred on July 29, 1898. Thousands of Button fire engines were sold throughout the world, and many still exist in working condition, used for parades and in contests. The Waterford Historical Museum was able to obtain the Button & Blake hand pumper called the “Converse” in 2005 so that history fans now and in the future may see an original Button fire engine in person

Previous Recipients Of the Lysander Button Award have been:

2019 John Fairclough

2018 Matthew Roy

2017 Nick Cook Sr

2016 Brian Wright

2015 Jason Rocque

2014 Ray Morse

2013 Steven McNaughton

2012 Gary OConnor

2011 John Fairclough

2010 Matthew Ball

2009 Donald Baldwin

2008 Matthew Roy

2007 Eric Esterby

2006 James Fletcher

2005 Ray Morse

2004 Fred Combs

2003 John Fairclough

2002 Ed Wright

2001 Gary Rogers

2000 Vince DeChamps

1999 Bob Lowther

1998 Paul Norton

1997 Michael Byrnes

1996 John Fairclough

1995 James Fletcher

1994 Terry Coloney

1993 Russ Vandervoort

1992 John Cooper Jr.

1991 Bill Williams, Jim Kelly

1990 Gary O'Connor

(awarded by Village Board,later Lysander Buttons to be awarded by Chief of Department)

 


© 2022 Waterford Fire Department